The Milton Public Library recognizes that in order to fulfill its mission statement, library users and staff must not feel constrained in their use of library resources because they fear invasion of personal privacy. The users’ choice of materials they borrow and websites they visit is a private matter. The library will therefore make every reasonable effort to ensure that personal information about its users and their use of library materials, services and programs remains confidential.
- Personal information is defined in Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c M56 (MFIPPA), in part, as “recorded information about an identifiable individual.” this could include, the library context, information on a user’s borrowing habits, as well as information related to computer use, including sign-up sheets and information on Internet use.
- The Board ensures that:
- the library complies with the spirit, principles and intent of MFIPPA
- members of the public have access to information about the operations of the library and to their own personal information held by the library in accordance with the access provisions of MFIPPA
- the privacy of an individual’s personal information is protected in compliance with the privacy provisions of MFIPPA
- staff may view and amend patron records as required to perform appropriate library functions
- staff are not permitted to view or amend records outside the scope of their duties.
3. The Board is responsible for the personal information under its control and designates the Chief Librarian as the individual accountable for the organization’s compliance with legislation and ensures that:
- the purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the library at, or before, the time the information is collected
consent of the individual is acquired for the disclosure of collection use or personal information
- the collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the proper administration of the library and the provision of library services and programs
- the library will not retain any personal information related to the items borrowed or requested by a user, or pertaining to a user’s on-line activity, longer than is necessary for the provision of library services and programs
- the library will not disclose personal information to any third parties without having obtained prior consent of the person to whom the information pertains, except when MFIPPA permits disclosure or other applicable law requires that the library disclose the personal information
- personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purpose for which it is used
- personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information
- upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information, and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate
- in individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the Chief Librarian
Issued: June 1994
Reviewed: March 2021