Teen Advisory Group
Applications for the 2023/2024 school year are now closed.
Thank you for your interest.
What is the Teen Advisory Group (aka TAG)?
The Teen Advisory Group at the Milton Public Library is the perfect opportunity for teens looking to complete their high school community service hours. Teen Advisory Group Members support staff with the delivery of programs for children, teens, and adults at the Milton Public Library. A range of opportunities are available and are divided into the following streams:
- Volunteers in this stream meet monthly with the Teen Services Librarian, acting as representatives of the larger teen community
- Members advise on the current needs of youth as well as how MPL can work towards fulfilling these needs, assist with program development by advising on current trends and interests, and advocate on behalf of MPL within their teen communities.
- All members of the program are welcome to attend monthly meetings, which will take place at Beaty Branch
- Winter meetings will be held on Thursday, October 26, 2023, Thursday, November 16, 2023, and Thursday, December 14, 2023. Spring meetings TBD.
- Volunteers will assist with program delivery on an as-needed basis, as communicated by the Teen Services Librarian. Duties will vary, but may include things such as supervising children, checking in registered participants, providing technology instruction, preparing craft supplies, setting up tables and chairs, and other duties as assigned.
- Volunteers assist staff in the delivery of a reading practice program, working one on one with school age children in order to develop their reading skills. The volunteers will also deliver fun, learning based games that help reinforce the joy of reading.
- Dates TBD
What Are My Responsibilities?
- To attend scheduled shifts regularly and on-time, and to communicate with staff in advance regarding any absences or conflicts
- To be fully engaged in the opportunity, participate to the best of your ability and demonstrate enthusiasm
- To act as a positive role model and teen advocate within the community and as representatives of Milton Public Library
- To provide feedback to staff about volunteer opportunities and the program in general.
- Completed Grade 8 but not graduated from High School
- A resident of Milton, or attending a Milton High School
- Passion for community involvement
- Conscientious and reliable
- Friendly and welcoming attitude
- Strong communication skills
- Openness to learning new skills and taking on new opportunities
- Able to work independently in order to fulfill assigned tasks
- Able to work well as part of a team in order to fulfill assigned tasks
- Able to illustrate respect, empathy, and patience with others, regardless of age group
How Do I Apply?
Any student in Grades 9 to 12, who lives or goes to school in Milton is welcome to apply. Applications for the 2023/2024 school year are now closed. Applications for the 2024/2025 school year will open in August 2024. Thank you for your interest.