Fines and Fees
There is a $1.00 fine for each hold or interlibrary loan item you do not check out or cancel by the pickup date.
When you inform the library that an item you believe you returned is still on your library account, staff will conduct a shelf check at all three branches. If the item is found, it will be checked in exempt of any overdue fines. If the item is not found, we will renew it and ask you to conduct another search for the item at home. If the item is not located, it is marked lost, and a replacement charge will be added to your account.
The library has a no-refund policy. Once items are lost and paid for, you may keep the item if it is found at a later date.
Overdue fines are charged for any material that is not returned on or before the due date. Fines were established as an incentive for a prompt return of materials so that they will be available to others. Fines begin accruing the day after the item is due.
Items continue to accrue fines until they are returned, renewed or marked as lost.
When you borrow material using self-checkout, as soon as you scan your library card a message will display indicating whether you have fines owing and/or items overdue. You can also use our automated phone system, check your account online, or check the app at any time to see if there are fines.
If you have an item or items overdue, you will be notified by phone or email:
- Seven days after the item is due, and
- Five weeks after the item is due
- If an item is overdue for seven weeks, you will be charged the replacement cost of the item.
Fines under $10.00 will not affect your account privileges.
The library prevents customers from taking out books or other materials if they have
- more than 15 items overdue, or
- more than $10.00 in fines or charges, which includes both unpaid fines on returned materials and fines accruing on items not yet returned, or
- If either of the above happens, your account will be blocked, and you will be prevented from accessing some of the library’s services.
- Sign in to your account and pay your fines online
- Visit your branch to pay your fines
- Renew your items
To avoid fines, renew items where possible if you require them longer than the due date of the item.
- Sign up for email notification
You can opt in to receive due date reminder notices two days before your items are due. Please note here that emails are courtesy notices and not receiving an email notice is not a valid reason to waive overdue fine
- Return your materials on time
Library materials can be returned to any library branch. All the branches have 24-hour book drops for your convenience. Note: Any unreturned materials that are overdue continue to accrue fines – renewing your items and returning them on time are the most effective ways to avoid fines.
- Pick up (or cancel) your holds before they expire
To avoid the Holds Not Picked Up fine, cancel your holds or pick them up by the pickup date.
What happens if I lose something I borrowed?
You’ll have to pay the purchase price plus $5 processing fee of the item. The library generally accepts a replacement copy plus a $5 processing fee. The replacement copy, in this case, should be exactly the same in terms of edition and ISBN numbers. If something is overdue by more than 40 days, the library considers it lost.
You’ll have to pay the purchase price plus a $5 processing fee of the item. The library generally accepts a replacement copy plus the $5 processing fee. The replacement copy, in this case, should be exactly the same edition with the same ISBN number, and must be in brand new condition. If something is overdue by more than 40 days, the library considers it lost.
Fines and fees that total $5.00 or more may be paid online through the following process. Fines and fees totalling less than $5.00 may be paid for in-person at either the Main Library, Sherwood Branch, or Beaty Branch.
Note: Browser pop-ups must be enabled to use this feature.
- Log in and view your account
- Click on Fines / Fees in the left hand column of your account.
- A Pay Online button will be present when fines and fees total $5.00 or more.
- Click on the Pay Online button which will open a new window.
- Select the Fines and Fees you wish to pay by checking each appropriate box.
- Enter your complete billing information, including your full name, mailing address (that matches your choice of payment, your email address as well as your preferred payment details (Visa, Visa Debit, or MasterCard are accepted).
- Click Submit to launch the payment confirmation page.
- Click Submit one final time to process your payment.